Introduction

The best place to start this blog lark is with a quick explanation of its title - why 'Scallops'?  
It came to me in a dream:  short stories are like scallops!  Similes and metaphors don't usually come to me in my sleep, I wish they did,  but on this occasion  I had watched rather too much of Hell's Kitchen before bedtime.  At some point, the wannabe chefs had competed to free perfect scallops from the gelatinous mass inside the shells. Craggy-faced Gordon was not pleased if any scallops had been spoiled in the process which, of course, most were.

A short story should also be small and perfectly formed:  it is the result of the skillful cutting down of a large, slippery concept in to a small, firm morsel of art.  As a writer still learning her craft, I know how easy it is to mutilate a good short story.  But I am hoping I'll get better with practice and - fingers crossed - that'll happen before my face turns too craggy...

Monday 1 February 2010

My first public reading

In January last year, the fabulous Becca Mordan - Director of London based Scary Little Girls Productions -featured my short story, Skin Deep, in a programme of new writing.   The wonderful thing about it was that it was read by an actress, whose interpretation gave it a whole new dimension for me.  I was able to sit back and enjoy the audience's response, while listening closely for blips in the rhythm and vocabulary that only appear when someone else reads your work.

But last week, read my own work in public for the very first time.  And it was terrifying...but equally exhilarating.  The event was called "Burn Your New Year's Resolutions" - its theme being sexual misadventure - and it was organised by Speckled Egg Studios.  It took place on two nights at Good Vibrations in Berkeley and San Francisco.   I'm not sure if I was more intimated by the size of the audience or the size of the dildos on display...Anyway, I read Emily Bronte Would Think This is Weird, a story told in 1st person by a 14 year-old girl who's in an odd relationship with a dead author and a bad relationship with a Heathcliff-esque boyfriend.

Foolishly, I invited my fella and some close friends to the first night.  I say foolishly because it added to my nerves but I knew I needed the practice.  In the end it was fine because I was able to hide behind my young narrator wearing a Hello Kitty t-shirt that said; "Being this cute is exhausting".  I'm not sure how I would feel about reading a 3rd person story - I imagine it'd be harder to distance myself as the author from the content, and I would need a t-shirt that said; "Being this self-conscious is exhausting"...


1 comment:

  1. Wearing a "being this self-conscious is exhausting," -T- would truly make you brilliant and bold amongst the most intimidating of dildos. Seriously, having attended your reading, I declare that it was your extremely unique, and compelling story that contributed most to your readings success. The -T- shirt only made both your character and narration extra charming.

    ReplyDelete